At the young age 26 this week's guest, Summer Kramer of SUMMERSKIN, was diagnosed with melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer). While fortunately, she discovered the cancerous mole early enough to treat it, the event itself forever changed her life.
Following surgery and at her dermatologist's recommendation, Summer sought out to buy sun protective clothing to shield herself from the sun's harsh rays. To her terror, she quickly discovered her only options were baggy safari gear, zip-off pants, and floppy hats (thanks, but no thanks).
On a mission to create clothing that would not only protect her skin but also be stylish enough that she would actually want to leave her house, she sought out to create her own clothing line.
How did this boss babe who was trained as a pharmacist go on to create an international clothing brand that has been featured in Elle Magazine, InStyle Magazine, Better Homes and Gardens, and the Today Show to name a few?
Tune into this week's episode of The Big Leap Show to find out…
Behind the Boss:
- Favorite pump-up song: I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty
- Simple pleasure: Wine, dark chocolate, pajamas and Bravo…..bliss :)
- Current challenge working through: Work life balance. While there are always challenges in building a business, the most challenging aspect for me has been maintaining a healthy lifestyle and making sure that I am able to spend quality time with my family. My daughter is 5 years old, just started Kindergarten and she will always be my priority, and the balance is making sure that she and my husband KNOW that they are my heart and soul every day. It's easy to allow your business to consume you.
- Pep talk to your younger self: Don't worry about what other people think! Keep doing what you love and what makes you happy, and really go for it! (I wasted too many of my younger years being shy and afraid of being different, and now I love that I'm different! I wish I would have learned to love myself earlier in life.)
- Next item on bucket list: One of my biggest fears is singing in front of people. I have even taken voice lessons and LOVE to sing, so on my bucket list is to make sure that one day I get up on a stage and sing my heart out!
- Life motto: “Follow the path of happiness - Find your people, your style, your passion and embrace them with all your heart.”
Pst. Looking for fashionable clothes to protect yourself or loved ones from the sun? Check out SUMMERSKIN and use the code BIGLEAP10 to take advantage of a discount exclusive to The Big Leap Show listeners!
As you face challenges ask yourself, what can I learn from this? There's no way around the challenges which arise. Something Summer has learned to ask though is, “What can I learn from this?” She has found that welcoming the challenges and being open to the answers this question brings has actually increased her passion for the business and fueled her momentum to keep going forward. The next time you are faced with a challenge, see if you can change your mindset to ask, “What can I learn from this.” The answer and shift in emotions might surprise you!When faced with challenges ask yourself, what can I learn from this? - @YourSummerSkin #TheKathlynHartShow Click To Tweet
Think small… and then think even smaller. When Summer first started she wanted to launch with a 30-piece collection. However after speaking with the fabric manufacturers and factory owners, she realized that she would need at least $2 million to start. In response, she downsized her launch plan to about 10 pieces. In retrospect, she admits she should have started even smaller. Doing so would have allowed her to start with less capital, give her more immediate feedback on her target audience's likes and dislikes, and she would have been able to scale her business more organically.To start think small... and then think even smaller - @YourSummerSkin #TheKathlynHartShow Click To Tweet
Follow your happy path. From what you do in business, to the people you surround yourself with, you can trust that if you are following the things and relationships that make you happy, you are on the right track. Summer accredits the continued success and growth of SUMMERSKIN to the fact that she has built a team of employees, business partners, fellow business owners, and mentors to support and encourage her growth. As you start to build and grow your own business, see if you can find your personal happy path to help guide the way ;)Follow your happy path - @YourSummerSkin #TheKathlynHartShow Click To Tweet
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Summer's company Summer Skin - Use code BIGLEAP10 for a 10% discount!
- Small Business Association (SBA)